17 Weeks!


It’s been a long 17 weeks from breaking my collarbone during our home team Season Opener in September. 


Initial Break – September 8, 2012

I’m not sure if I shot myself in the foot because I came in determined to NOT have surgery, since there would be NO chance of being healed for WFTDA Eastern Playoffs or WFTDA Champs, if we advanced.  I was also initially hopeful, lots of internet research showed 6-10 weeks for recovery time. The first week was hell.  I “slept” a lot and tried to limit any movement.  And by “slept” I mean entering in and out of consciousness throughout the day and night.  Any little movement was excruciating and I couldn’t lay on my back, on my side, on my stomach; I had to sleep sitting up with two large pillows to prop me up and a pillow under my left arm to prop my arm in place to take some pressure off of my arm hanging down.  Pretty sure I didn’t take a shower for two days, and mind you, that is with post bout derby stank.  Walking involved hunching as far forward as possible to take the pressure off the broken bone, pretty sure it didn’t help.  After the first week, the pain subsided greatly but inflammation was still apparent so only anti-inflammatories were needed for the following week.  Exercising was still painful and I wasn’t able to lift my shoulder so I remained pretty confined and limited in what I could do.  I returned to skating in mid to late October, non contact open skates and Tuesday speed practices away from any potential contact. 

Following WFTDA Championships, I had my 2nd Doctor’s appointment and was really excited for good news since it was past the 10 week mark for the normal healing time for this injury.  Once the x-ray popped up on the screen, my jam dropped and so did my high expectations and hope but according to the Doctor it was “progress.”  The x-ray, to the naked uninformed eye, looked exactly the same, no bone growth and same position.  There was, however, evidence of a callus forming. 


Follow Up Appointment 12-12-12

Wait and come back in the new year. That was the consensus, with no projected date of return.  It was a true test of my patience.  I did leave with some permission to do “anything that didn’t hurt.” I could now work on full range of motion and light strength exercises, light weights, bike riding, planks.  It wasn’t until mid December that I actually started to feel some significant callus growth, possible bone growth???  So, I go into my next Doctor appoint hopeful for good news and a relatively soon return and nervous for bad news and a diagnosis of wait it out till who knows when. 



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s